On the 17th and 18th of November, AAAF hosted the first ever Alopecia Areata Adventure Camp at Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo NSW. This amazing program was supported through the generosity of the Newcastle Permanent Charitable Foundation and Variety, the Children’s Charity.
Children from all across the country, from Hobart to Cairns, Perth to Sydney, travelled to Dubbo for a weekend of adventurous activities and the chance to meet and make friends with other kids with Alopecia Areata. It was an amazing weekend, and we loved being able to spend time with so many of the wonderful families in our community.
AAAF will be hosting another AAAdventure Camp in November of 2018, and hope to have even more families involved. Be sure to register to stay up to date with announcements.
We’re honoured to share some of the fantastic feedback we’ve received from this years camp and some photos snapped during this outstanding weekend.
- I just wanted to say what a fabulous time Kayla had on the Camp she really enjoyed meeting the other kids and felt at ease knowing she was not alone it has really helped her self esteem and she has not stopped talking about it since she got back. Paul also enjoyed the trip and getting to know everyone. Thank you to all involved in organising a great weekend.
- I would just like to say a very big thank you. Victoria had the best weekend ever. She has not stopped talking about the friendships she made, animals she saw, the food, the fun but most of all the whole experience of talking with other with the same condition. At one stage Victoria said that she walked around with nothing on her head and felt very comfortable. Never has she felt like this. It brought tears of happiness to me.
- I just wanted to say a big thank you for the weekend. Gemma had a great time, and learned a lot, especially from her discussions with Bianca and Marissa. Whilst Gemma has a lot more hair than a lot of the other children, she has struggled with her alopecia since she was diagnosed 4 months ago. I would highly recommend this camp for anyone at any stage of the journey with alopecia, to met others with the same condition to talk with them, get their advice on how they dealt with it emotionally has been invaluable to Gemma
- Thank you so very much for such a fabulous weekend and for all the hard work the AAAF team put into making it happen. Amelia and I loved meeting so many wonderful people in such a supportive environment.
- Thanks so much for the opportunity for our daughter to attend, even though she had a few tears and ups and downs she had a fantastic weekend. She was so appreciative Chel for you giving her that pick up that she needed.