Mary’s Article – Organiser of the IAD annual video.
The 2023 IAD is coming ON AUGUST 5! For the 14th year, people with Alopecia worldwide will have gatherings, parties, and events to celebrate and be proud of who we are. And, I will once again be doing the annual IAD video project!
Please spread the word about International Alopecia Day 2023, and help us have LOTS of participation in the video and posts all over social media on August 5. Let the world know we’re here and all people with Alopecia that they’re not alone!
Last year’s IAD Video can be found at the bottom of this article. – the rest are also on YouTube. Make sure that Australia is well-represented this year!
HOW YOU CAN BE IN THE 2023 IAD VIDEO:
1. Try to take your photos ON International Alopecia Day, August 5. This is meant to be a snapshot of Alopecians around the world on this ONE day.
2. Please don’t send in professional “studio” portraits OR photos that you’ve posted on your Facebook page before IAD.
3. You can be in a wig, bald, with patches or lots of hair, or in a hat or scarf. THIS IS ALL OF US, AS WE ARE! It’s your choice.
4. You can include non-Alopecian family or friends in the photo.
5. If you have a GROUP event, make sure that everyone in your IAD photo understands it will be in a Public YouTube video and agrees to that.
6. It’s great if you make and hold a SIGN saying where you live – and, you can write the sign in your LANGUAGE. Posing in front of a local LANDMARK or scene adds to the international theme.
7. If you make a sign or banner that includes the name of the holiday, please make sure you use the official NAME: “INTERNATIONAL ALOPECIA DAY”, and NOT “Alopecia Awareness Day” or other variations. We’re trying to raise awareness with this annual event, so the name needs to be consistent.
8. Send only ONE photo per person or family – your best and favourite. There are too many submissions to include more than one per person. But, if you’re having a GROUP event and need more than one photo to show everyone, you can send in more than one. Can’t decide which photo to send? You can make a COLLAGE in one image to include photos. But, remember that your photos will look smaller in the finished video if they’re part of a collage.
9. TO GUARANTEE THAT YOUR PHOTO IS IN THIS YEAR’S YOUTUBE IAD VIDEO, YOU MUST SEND IT TO: firstname.lastname@example.org Do not send it BEFORE August 5. Many people like to share their IAD photos on Facebook Alopecia groups, including the International Alopecia Community Group, but unless it’s ALSO emailed to the official address, I might miss it. And, emailing the photo to me is how I can be sure I have your PERMISSION to put it in the video. Please don’t send me your photo by private message.
10. Please give me your LOCATION in the email you send with the photo so that I can put it in the correct place in the video. I just need your COUNTRY and REGIONAL location. For example, if you’re in the United Kingdom I need your County, in the United States or Australia, your State.
11. I will reply to ALL emails and this will be your confirmation that your photo was received and will be in the video! The deadline to submit photos is August 31, 2022, so there’s plenty of time after IAD. The finished video will be online in September.
WATCH the previous years’ videos on YouTube under “International Alopecia Day” to get ideas for your event or photo. Make sure YOUR country is represented!
If you have any questions about any of this, please post and ask.